John is a Director and co-founder of DaySparkes. John heads up the firm’s Commercial Litigation, Civil Fraud and International Arbitration groups and specialises in complex High Court and arbitral disputes, frequently of an international or multi-jurisdictional nature. He has over 20 years’ post-qualified experience and advises on a broad range of matters, including contractual, trust, fraud, asset-tracing, partnership, joint-venture and company disputes. He is regularly instructed to advise on applications for urgent interim relief, such as worldwide freezing injunctions and disclosure orders, and is also experienced in contentious tax disputes and regulatory matters. John read law at Southampton University before completing his LPC at the College of Law, Guildford. He is a “recommended lawyer” for Commercial Litigation and Banking Litigation in the Legal 500. Clients say that John “has excellent instincts when it comes to litigation and a very good way with clients” (Legal 500 2017).
Examples of John’s work include:
- Representing two Ukrainian oil trading companies in an arbitration and a related High Court application for a worldwide freezing order arising out of a claim by a major Russian oil trader for the recovery of monies said to be owing under a joint venture agreement between the parties for the import and sale of oil and other products into the Ukraine.
- Advising a private equity firm on attempts to join it to multiple arbitrations arising out of a failed hotel joint venture and settling an application under Section 72 of the Arbitration Act 1996 for a negative declaration.
- Advising and representing victims of the infamous HBOS Reading/Quayside Corporate Services scandal arising out of the fraud that was perpetrated between 2002 and 2007 by Lynden Scourfield and others on numerous SMEs who had been transferred to the “higher risk” division of HBOS.
- Acting for the former director of Powa Technologies (“Powa”) in his defence of personal guarantee proceedings arising out of the administration of Powa in February 2016 and the same of its material assets to a third party controlled by Powa’s secured creditor and another former director.
- Advising a prominent UK property developer in his defence of Commercial Court proceedings and a related worldwide freezing injunction involving allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, breach of contract, unjust enrichment and contempt.
- Advising an international auction house in its defence of claims arising out of the crash of a Ferrari F50 supercar and its pursuit of Part 20 indemnity proceedings against its storage company.
- Advising an AIM-listed investment trust based in the Isle of Man in a multi-million Euro professional negligence claim against its former advisers arising out of a substantial corporate re-structuring in 2008.
- Advising a BVI commercial property company in a complex banking claim against major UK bank arising out of the miss-selling of a £10.3 million interest rate hedging product in 2008.
- Advising a Luxemburg Property company in its claim against the custodian bank of a former commercial mortgage-backed securitisation, for the recovery of circa €800,000 of surplus funds.
- Acting for the exclusive distributor of a global food brand in the UK, Ireland and France in connection with a multi-million Dollar dispute with a US company arising out the termination of the distribution agreement.
- Advising the wife of a former Russian oligarch in connection with a substantial High Court fraud action and related worldwide freezing injunction brought by a prominent Russian lender.
- Advising a client in his successful defence of tax assessment proceedings and an application to discharge a related worldwide freezing injunction arising out of an alleged multi-million pound duty diversion fraud.
- Advising the estate of a deceased international hotelier in his defence of claims for the just and equitable winding up of a Panamanian SPV investment company and a related freezing injunction arising out of a piece of investment land in the M4/Heathrow corridor.
- Acting for a Texas litigation Trust in its defence of an anti-suit injunction obtained by a major UK bank in the High Court to restrain the commencement of $100m fraud proceedings brought in Texas.
- Advising a Welsh Premiership rugby club on a claim against a former Trustee for breaches of fiduciary duty and constructive trust arising out of the alleged misappropriation of trust assets.
- Representing Stewart Dimmock, a school governor in a high-profile and successful judicial review arising out of the decision of the UK Government to distribute the Oscar-winning climate change film “An Inconvenient Truth” by Mr Al Gore to all secondary schools.