Tel: +44 (0) 20 7242 8018
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Commercial Litigation →
Banking Litigation →
Civil Fraud →
International Arbitration →
Professional Negligence →
Liina is a dispute resolution lawyer providing legal advice on a wide range of commercial and financial disputes, with a focus on achieving our clients’ desired outcomes in an efficient and responsive manner.
Liina has acted on a wide range of complex matters covering commercial disagreements, banking and financial disputes (including cases involving complicated derivatives), professional negligence and fraud.
She has a wealth of experience in settling disputes through mediation and negotiation, as well as via the courts. Liina has achieved favourable settlements for clients in mediations involving financial disputes, personal guarantees, banking facilities and fraud.
Her clients include large corporations, SMEs, high-net-worth investors and entrepreneurs in sectors including banking and investment finance, technology, property, leisure and hospitality. Liina speaks fluent Estonian and many of her cases have an international dimension.
LEGAL 500 QUOTES
“Liina Tulk is smart and efficient and supported me in dealing with preparing the case. She is utterly focused.” – Client Testimonial.
Baking litigation and financial fraud
- Advising and representing multiple victims of the infamous HBOS Reading/Quayside Corporate Services scandal in multimillion damages claims arising out of a major fraud that was perpetrated by Lynden Scourfield and others on numerous SMEs who had been transferred to the “impaired assets” division of HBOS.
- The successful defence of an independent equities and derivatives trader, who faced allegations of insider trading relating to the purchase and sale of securities traded on the New York Stock Exchange, in proceedings brought by the US Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Acting for the successful appellant in the UK Supreme Court case of Carlyle v RBS  UKSC 13. The Supreme Court unanimously ruled that RBS had breached a contractually binding promise to provide Mr Carlyle development funding in addition to initial purchase funding.
- Acting for property developers sued by RBS under a substantial six figure Personal Guarantee. The court found the Personal Guarantee to be unenforceable as a result of negligent misrepresentations made by the bank and awarded the successful defendants damages – RBS v O’Donnell  CSIH 84.
Commercial litigation and professional negligence
- Advising high-net-worth individuals in a professional negligence claim against their former accountants arising out of a void share buy-back transaction, helping the clients to cost efficiently and expeditiously mitigate their losses and secure a commercial settlement.
- Advising an international recruitment and outsourcing business on a substantial six figure claim against its former CFO.
- Successfully representing two high-net-worth individuals in their defence of substantial multimillion-pound breach of trust claim (involving Swiss law) relating to a series of investments made by the claimant – Kent v Paterson-Brown and another  EWHC 2008 (Ch).
- Securing over £2.7 million in damages on behalf of a property developer in a professional negligence claim against the former solicitors for failing to advise on risks arising out of security obligations – Dunvale Investments Limited v Burness Paull & Williamson LLP  CSOH 32.
- Advising a leading global provider of mobile advert-serving technology solutions in connection with its multimillion-USD dispute with a UK-based global mobile-first agency in relation to the provision of services in Asia Pacific, EMEA, India and Latin America.