DaySparkes is a conflict free law firm that is able to take on disputes that would present conflicts for the larger City law firms who traditionally represent the major financial institutions. This has enabled us to act for a range of companies, hedge funds and high net worth individuals in recent years in a number of significant and high profile cases. It has also enabled us to build up a truly specialist and experienced banking litigation department.
Examples of our recent work and experience include:
- Acting for Class X noteholders in their claims against the Issuer, Note Trustee and Cash Manager of a CMBS for the recovery of significant underpayments of Class X interest.
- Acting for a Texas Trust in contesting an anti-suit injunction obtained by RBS, restraining $100m fraud proceedings brought against them by our client in Texas.
- Acting for numerous corporations and high net worth individuals with claims against prominent international and domestic banks for the allegedly fraudulent mis-selling of complex structured products and interest rate swaps arising out of the FCA’s findings of LIBOR fixing/manipulation.
- Advising clients in relation to the FCA mandated review into the misselling of interest rate hedging products.
- Acting for a Luxembourg property company in its claim against the custodian bank of a former CMBS for the recovery of circa €1 million of surplus funds left following the liquidation of the CMBS.
- Acting for a high net worth individual in connection with claims for fraudulent misrepresentation and negligent advice in the operation of foreign exchange accounts.
- Acting for a company in its defence of substantial multimillion pound asset tracing claims based on allegations of breach of constructive trust. The proceedings were brought by the liquidator of a Cayman Hedge Fund in connection with the alleged misappropriation of over US$600 million of investment funds which were said to have been concealed by false swap agreements.
- Acting for / advising a number of clients on potential claims against RBS’ Global Restructuring Group or GRG.
- Acting for a high net worth individual in her defence of a claim brought by her Greek bank arising out of complex, multi-currency, loan facilities that she entered into under undue influence from her ex-husband.
- Advising a New Zealand online money transmitting company on the decision of the Serious Organised Crime Agency to freeze its UK bank accounts for alleged infringements of the money laundering regime laid down in the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
- Representing a high net-worth individual in his defence of multiple possession proceedings brought by a major high street bank following the collapse of his property empire.
- Acting for a number of companies in connection with claims arising out of “vishing” frauds.
- Acting for a high-net-worth husband and wife in connection with possession proceedings / enforcement action in connection with personal guarantees securing the debts of their steel manufacturing business, which went into administration in 2011, owing circa £2 million.
- Advising a group of individuals on their defence of claims by a spread-betting firm arising out of alleged breaches of the firm’s standard terms and conditions of business.